In addition to the wish list, once an activity is completed, I move it to the completed section of the list along with an estimated time it too to complete the project. Now I can see progress! Love it!
On November 15th I had a client holiday party and a large number of people here so I had the railroad room open for viewing only. Everyone had a great time, especially the kids.
The last op session was November 19th and it went really well. There were 12 of us for the session and everyone seemed to have a good time so I'm happy for that. Everything ran well, with a couple exceptions. A few of the turnouts either decided to swap positions (thrown vs closed) or the dispatcher never noticed this in the past. I also had a few locos that don't like to keep their speed match programming, and choose to have a max speed of about 5 mph. More work on those to figure what that issue is. In addition, we two turnouts in Bakersfield that needed work. SW88 was a lose wire and SW102 needed emergency repairs during the session due to points becoming unsoldered. All work well now.
I added 8 slide switches in the Bakersfield engine facility to activate the turnouts there. I like that the turnouts work. I just don't like the look of the slide switches. Operation takes precedence over esthetics.
Dave Waterstreet is working on new panels for the Bakersfield yard throats. The current control is via rotary switches. We have a need to move about 6 turnouts in the yard, 3 on each end, to better facilitate switching the AD tracks, as suggested by Joel Morse. We'll also add several turnouts to the panels for control so Dave volunteered to build the panel. Installation was scheduled for the end of this month, however, due to everyone having a cold, we decided to put installation back a month or two. Everything under the railroad in Bakersfield has been removed for that operation and placed in my bedroom! I guess I just gotta live with boxes of trains in my room for a little longer. And along with that, I'll be connecting several industry turnouts to be operable too. So there is a lot of upgrades going on in Bakersfield! More on the panels in future posts. Below is the board for the north end of Bakersfield. There will be a similar one for the south end too. Lookin' good!
I fixed the locomotive sanding facility as it was falling apart. Well, I thought I fixed it and it decided to come apart again. I'll have to try that again!
Oh and I installed several plastic boxes at key areas around the layout for the lumber and pipe loads that go on and off the various cars. Now we don't have to just leave them on the layout!
And the gremlins never cease to show up. Suddenly there was a short on the Traffic Center loop and after a while trying to find it, discovered there was a loose wire on one of the tortoises. This has been installed for years with no trouble. Why now? Crazy stuff. To hide these Tortoises from view there is a fascia that has been removed to perform the work. (sorry for the messy desk in the background)
More crazy stuff. I had another short in the Traffic Center loop and could not figure it out. About to tear everything out, I started moving trains with my hands and that revealed the issue. In the photo below you'll notice a white thumb tack in front of the UP loco. Well that's the marker for the rail gap, which the loco was straddling to wait for the BNSF train that was trying to cross over, but due to the short could not. Anyway, backing the UP loco past the thumb tack solved the problem! Big frustrating problem, but fortunately a simple fix! And just the other day, near this same location, I think I have a failed Tortoise! First one ever!
Well, off to do more work on the railroad. Next op session is January 21. If you want to join, please contact me at CPRXmodelRR@gmail.com.
Frank Kenny CPRX Railway